Transferring pension from other schemes

On joining the FPS 2006 as a special firefighter member, there are various options for transferring pension rights from other pension arrangements so that you may be able to increase your pensionable service as a special member.

You would have the option, like standard members, of transferring pension rights from some suitable pension providers.

Additionally, if you have previous pensionable service in the FPS, which you are no longer paying into, you may be able to transfer it into special membership of the FPS 2006. Or if you have pensionable service in the FPS 2006 as a standard member, you would be able to convert it to special pensionable service.

You should note that there is a 30 year limit on the amount of pensionable service that you can count towards pension benefits in the special scheme even if the total of your special pensionable service exceeds this when you retire.

Information about your transfer options would have been given to you by your FRA when you were given the option to join the FPS 2006 for Special Members.

There are very strict time limits in which to ask for a transfer. If you are not sure if you can transfer, get in touch with your FRA's pension administrator.

If you think you have pension rights held with another pension provider, but have lost contact with the administrators, the Department for Work and Pensions offer a free Pension Tracing Service. See finding a lost pension for more information.

Please rate your experience on our website