The Firefighters' Pension Scheme 2015 (FPS 2015) is the occupational pension scheme available to operational firefighters first appointed on or after 1 April 2015.
The FPS 2015 is a statutory, defined benefit, career average, public service pension scheme made under the Public Service Pensions Act 2013. Career average scheme benefits are worked out based on a proportion of pay for each year of membership.
Serving firefighters appointed before this date may already have pension rights in an earlier Firefighters' Pension Scheme, i.e.
- the Firefighters' Pension Scheme 1992 (FPS 1992), or
- the Firefighters' Pension Scheme 2006 (FPS 2006).
Some of these firefighters will have been transferred to FPS 2015 with effect from 1 April 2015, some will be transferred at a later date, and some will have the right to remain a member of their earlier scheme until 2022.
From 1 April 2022, all firefighters will be members of the FPS 2015.
If you are, or become, a member of FPS 2015, the benefits provided by the scheme include the following:
- an inflation-proofed pension worked out on a proportion of pay for each year of membership.
- an option to convert part of the pension to a lump sum
- payment of pension before normal retirement age if
- you have to retire on grounds of permanent ill-health,
- you choose to take early retirement or partial retirement
- you are given employer-initiated early retirement.
- death-in-service cover providing a lump sum death benefit equal to three times final pensionable pay
- a pension for your surviving husband or wife, civil partner, or eligible cohabiting partner
- pensions for eligible children